Most unlimited data plans allow some Mobile Hotspot usage, but they will throttle or limit your usage.
By running PairVPN on top of your iPhone or Android phone's Hotspot connections, you can avoid the restriction and make your mobile
hotspot truly unlimited and unthrottled.
Simply follow these steps:
- Turn on Mobile Hotspot from the Settings app on iPhone or Android, and connect your computer or tablet (the client device).
Verify Internet is working.
- Install the "PairVPN" app on both sides (from app store or pairvpn.com).
Run client mode on the computer/tablet device and server mode on your phone. (Don't choose the opposite mode!)
- Pair the two devices(once) and Connect PairVPN.
This local VPN connection will pass all network traffics from the computer/tablet device through your phone's data connection. It will show up as normal Internet usage from your phone and not hotspot usage. As a result, your carrier will not meter or throttle your connection.
- To use PairVPN, you need to be able to turn on Mobile Hotspot or USB Tether from phone settings.
- If the server device is an iPhone, you must keep the PairVPN server active
and avoid turning off phone screen. That is because the iOS system will terminate
all background apps (except for those approved for GPS, VOIP or Audio).
- Ignore the "hotspot usage" stats in Android phone settings. Check your cell service account to verify hotspot quota has not been affected.
- Do not run any tether apps such as PdaNet in addition to PairVPN. You won't need it.
- Currently PairVPN only connect one device. We will try to support multiple devices in the future.
- After connected make sure PairVPN shows "Tunnel: local". If it shows "remote" or "relayed" then hotspot connection has failed.
Please contact us at email@example.com to troubleshoot.